Sponsored by the RAND Pardee Graduate School
Pardee RAND Graduate School now accepting applications for its fully-funded Ph.D. program
At the Pardee RAND Graduate School, our students have a deep and abiding passion to use policy to improve lives. Our selective, multidisciplinary doctoral program focuses on policy analysis and the ways it can shape our world.
We offer a full-time Ph.D. program in policy analysis — the first and largest of its kind in the country. And we’re backed by the brainpower and resources of the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit, nonpartisan research institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis.
Each year, we welcome 25-30 exceptional students who come from diverse personal and academic backgrounds, with about a third of students coming from outside the U.S.
Pardee RAND’s fully funded program enables students to cover their tuition while receiving a consistent stipend for living expenses each year and graduate debt-free.
Doctoral students receive:
- A full-tuition scholarship for the first year, partial scholarship in the second year, and reduced tuition thereafter
- A research fellowship earned by working on RAND projects of the student’s choice; the fellowship covers remaining tuition and provides a stipend to cover living expenses
- Generous health insurance and other benefits, including paid parental leave
- Use of a laptop computer
- Support for conference attendance and travel to other RAND offices
- Competitively awarded internal dissertation funding
Learn more here about how RAND fully funds all incoming Ph.D. students with a comprehensive financial aid package.
- Be available to participate in our full-time combined research-and-study program at RAND’s headquarters in Santa Monica, California
- Have completed a bachelor’s degree; an advanced degree and/or some work experience is desired
- Demonstrate strong quantitative skills; all majors and disciplines are welcome
If you are interested in receiving preliminary feedback on your candidacy prior to investing your time in the 2021 admissions process, please submit a pre-application here. Note: the pre-application is for feedback only and is not evaluated in the formal application process.
How to apply:
Choose your policy engagement stream:
- Research, Analysis, and Design: mastering analytic tools and methods for addressing complex policy problems
- Community-Partnered Policy and Action: partnering with and working in communities to effect real and sustainable change
- Technology Applications and Implications: creating technology-focused solutions to policy problems and understanding the societal implications of changing technology
Applications will include:
- Résumé or CV
- Three essays describing your motivations to work in the field of policy analysis
- Three letters of recommendation from academic and/or professional references
- GRE or GMAT scores; TOEFL or IELTS for some international students
- School transcripts
Application Deadline: January 5, 2021
For more information:
Attend an admissions webinar
Our online admissions events provide an overview of the Ph.D. program, the admissions process, and our degree requirements. Hear current students describe their experiences and share their perspectives on the program. Sign up today!
Receive early feedback on your candidacy
If you are interested in receiving preliminary feedback on your candidacy prior to investing your time in the 2021 admissions process, please submit a pre-application. If you have further questions or inquiries, contact us.