Sponsored by Partners for Justice
Make a meaningful impact and help fight mass incarceration one person at a time with Partners for Justice!
The PFJ Professional Fellowship offers recent graduates and entry-level professionals hands-on experience in public service and the legal system. PFJ Client Advocates are placed as full-time employees within public defenders’ offices for up to two years. Working closely with defense attorneys, Advocates support low-income people facing criminal charges with life-changing services such as housing, employment, social and medical benefits, and more.
What You’ll Do as a Client Advocate Fellow
Advocates play a pivotal role by providing client-led direct service to people facing criminal charges. Each day presents new challenges and opportunities, from direct engagement with clients to collaboration with community partners to going on the record in legal proceedings.
As a Client Advocate, you will:
- Build relationships with and interview clients to understand their challenges and priorities, as well as identify potential consequences of an arrest.
- Provide clients with streamlined access to wraparound services, including but not limited to; housing, employment, social and medical benefits, and treatment needs.
- Advocate for clients by engaging with service providers, landlords, employers, prosecutors, judges, and others, conveying clients’ stories and needs in a compelling way that gets results.
- Coordinate with legal and social service teams to facilitate collaboration and communication on client cases.
- Partner with attorneys to compose persuasive narrative reports, support arguments, and provide relevant information and records.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of court processes and requirements
- Collect and report data about work and your achievements.
- Actively participate in the Partners for Justice Professional Fellowship program.
Partners for Justice has over 50 placements available in offices across the United States:
- New York
- Northeast Tri-State area
- Possible placements in Colorado and Mississippi
Salary & Benefits
Annual compensation ranges from $40,000 to $55,000, depending on office placement. All Advocates receive medical coverage and paid time off, in addition to the following supplemental benefits provided by the PFJ Professional Fellowship:
- Professional development support and funding;
- Mentorship and assistance in your career next steps;
- Mental health and wellness programming;
- Advocate Hardship Fund to address financial emergencies and;
- Relocation assistance for fellows with financial need.
More information on the compensation and benefits package for specific placements is provided during the interview process.
- Partners for Justice is unable to place licensed social workers or candidates with JDs.
- Applicants must graduate by the start of the program in July 2024 and be early career professionals or interested in entry-level positions.
- Must be authorized to work in the US for two years. We are unable to sponsor visas.
- There are no educational requirements.
How to Apply
Submit your application on our website at www.partnersforjustice.org/apply. The application includes a resume and several short answer questions (3-6 sentences). Short answer responses are used to assess your writing ability in addition to the substance of your responses.
Applications close March 25, 2024
Not ready to apply today? Bookmark the Partners for Justice Professional Fellowship to your ProFellow account.
© ProFellow, LLC 2024, all rights reserved