Sponsored by the Carnegie Corporation of New York
The Chinese Language Fellowship Program (CLFP) is a nationwide initiative to strengthen the next generation of American scholars focused on China. The program supports American graduate students with a fellowship of up to $50,000 so that they can devote one year to intensive Chinese language training at an institution of the fellow’s choice, generally in China or Taiwan.
The Chinese Language Fellowship offers two types of fellowships:
- PhD Track (Up to $50,000)
The PhD track of the Chinese Language Fellowship allows currently enrolled PhD students to participate in a language program of their choice in Taiwan or China for nine months followed by a summer language program during which fellows will take one-on-one classes where they may choose to read primary sources directly related their dissertation research.
- Prospective PhD Track (Up to $40,000)
The Prospective PhD track of the Chinese Language Fellowship allows current or recent Master’s degree students planning to pursue a PhD to participate in a language program of their choice in Taiwan or China for nine months. Applicants to the Prospective PhD track must be currently enrolled in a Master’s program or already possess a Master’s degree.
To be considered for a fellowship, an applicant must submit the following materials through NBR’s application website:
- A two-page summary resume (full academic CVs will not be reviewed).
- A two-page cover letter that addresses your qualifications for the fellowship; your proposed plan of Chinese language study, and how your proposed Chinese language program will contribute to your language training, doctoral studies, and future plans.*
- A complete application form, answering questions about academic experience, Chinese language skills, Chinese language class taken, and providing the names of three academic/professional referees.
- Official (electronic) transcripts from all educational institutions you are currently attending or from which you have received a degree.
- A letter of recommendation from your current academic supervisor.**
- A letter of recommendation from a recent Chinese language teacher.
*If you are applying to the Prospective PhD track, please explain your plans to pursue a PhD program in your cover letter.
** If you are applying to the Prospective PhD track, please ask your academic supervisor to address your aptitude for a PhD program in his/her letter of recommendation.
Application Deadline: February 21, 2021
Not ready to apply this year? Bookmark the Chinese Language Fellowship to your ProFellow account.