Sponsored by Health for America
Health for America (HFA) uses America’s greatest strength — entrepreneurship — to address its greatest challenge — health. HFA is embedded in the MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2). Each year, we bring together interdisciplinary teams of young professionals with fresh perspectives and passion to improve healthcare delivery. These young leaders are immersed in the healthcare system, educated in design thinking and lean startup methodologies, and empowered to build innovative, sustainable solutions to improve the health of underserved communities across America.
A fellow’s role is to build a sustainable and impactful solution to improve healthcare outcomes for a specific healthcare challenge. Fellows are also tasked with becoming experts in design thinking, entrepreneurship, and the healthcare ecosystem, as well as developing into leaders. Fellows should be entrepreneurial, curious, open-minded, and driven.
Fellows will work our of Washington, DC and will receive a stipend of $50,000. All travel during the fellowship will be covered by Health for America.
- Collaborating with team to develop a feasible healthcare solution
- Managing day-to-day planning and project implementation
- Building Health for America’s social media presence, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Writing blog posts and weekly reports
- Following the Health for America Curricula in Health, Design, Entrepreneurship, and Leadership, including readings and internal deliverables
- Submitting team and individual deliverables by assigned deadlines
- Traveling to relevant conferences, workshops, and events
- Shadowing clinicians, interviewing stakeholders, engaging with patients
The Fellow will be thoroughly committed to Health for America’s mission. The candidate should have proven leadership experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- Demonstrated experience in organizational development, strategic planning, and/or product development
- Interest in understanding of lean startup methodologies, the human-centered design process, and healthcare
- Ability to work cross-functionally and establish and manage a collaborative team environment
- Ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people and stakeholders
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed