Sponsored by Health for America
Health for America (HFA) at MedStar Health inspires the best and brightest young professionals to tackle the nation’s most pressing health challenges through innovation. HFA grants paid, 11-month fellowships to an interdisciplinary team of four professionals within three years post-bachelor’s degree, offering them unmatched learning experiences that center on health, design, entrepreneurship, and leadership.
HFA is embedded in MedStar Institute for Innovation (MI2) in Washington, D.C. to make a difference by advancing three main goals: motivating next-generation leaders to focus on health, creating novel solutions that improve health outcomes, and increasing innovation capacity in the health system. 1776, a Washington, D.C.-based global startup incubator and seed fund, also supports the program and offers workspace for HFA fellows.
HFA fellows create a solution for an assigned health challenge: for example, the 2016-17 HFA fellows are focused on stroke, the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. They are empowered by a rigorous curriculum, expert mentors, conference travel, and experiential learning within and beyond MedStar Health—the largest healthcare provider in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. The program is structured into three phases—exploration, ideation, and implementation—to ensure fellows maximize learning, identify opportunities, and build a robust, sustainable health solution.
HFA fellows are based in Washington, D.C. and receive a stipend of $50,000, as well as generous time off. All conference travel during the fellowship is covered by HFA.
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary team to develop a feasible healthcare solution
- Shadowing clinicians, meeting regularly with physician/program mentors, engaging with patients, and interviewing stakeholders
- Managing day-to-day planning, project implementation, and learning
- Writing blog posts and weekly reports
- Following HFA curriculum content about health, design, entrepreneurship, and leadership, including readings and internal deliverables
- Submitting team and individual deliverables by assigned deadlines
- Attending relevant conferences, workshops, and events, such as South by Southwest in Austin, Cleveland Clinic Medical Innovation Summit, and others
- Advancing HFA’s social media presence as a team—including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn—while bolstering your own online presence
HFA fellows are thoroughly committed to advancing the program’s goals. The candidate should have proven leadership experience. Concrete, demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field earned between January 2014 and July 2017
- Self-starter with an exceptional ability to work cross-functionally and establish and maintain a collaborative team environment
- Strong interest in understanding health care, lean startup methodologies, and human-centered design
- Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent, adaptable interpersonal capabilities
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, innovative, and multidisciplinary approach to project/business planning
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning, innovation, change management, product/organizational development, and/or complex project management
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, self-directed
- Embraces coaching from mentors and remains committed to giving, receiving, and applying feedback at the peer level
- Excited by a program offering a unique blend of structured activities (e.g., rigorous clinical shadowing) and significant opportunities for fellows to manage their day-to-day work as the program progresses (e.g., ideation)
To be considered for the 2017-18 HFA fellowship, which runs from September 2017 through July 2018, you must submit your application by February 24, 2017 at 12 pm (noon) EST at www.healthforamerica.org.
Not ready to apply this year? Bookmark Health for America to your ProFellow account.