On April 25, the International Fellows Network hosted a dinner for current and former fellows at Perry’s Restaurant in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of Washington, D.C. The dinner brought together a cross-disciplinary group of leaders for an evening of discussion and exchange.
It was excellent to connect with some aspiring fellows and alumni of fellowship programs, as well as some of the fellowship directors in attendance. Asandi Connor told us about the history of the Detroit Revitalization Fellows Program. The 2-year mid-career fellowship, which is currently undergoing a strategic assessment, provides a unique leadership development program for fellows who work full-time at host organizations throughout Detroit. Chante Mayers, a current graduate student at George Washington University, recently received a Hostelling International Travel Scholarship to pursue a teaching project in Nigeria. Eric Wheeler recently returned from 18 months in Moscow, where he served as a senior associate at an independent risk management consultancy. We also enjoyed discussing the upcoming presidential election, careers paths in global health, ways in which you pursue a graduate degree abroad, and fellowships for people in their 40s and older.
The International Fellows Network is a professional networking organization of more than 1,800 current and former fellows from all over the world. The IFN also holds events in New York City, Washington, DC, and Berlin, Germany and seeking to expand these to new locations this year. Through the IFN, current and former fellows can connect for socializing, advice and insights on fellowships, jobs, events, graduate programs, and collaborative opportunities. If you are a current or former fellow and would like to join, please sign up for our fellowships database, and we’ll be in touch by email!
April 2019 Attendees:
- Asandi Connor – Director, Detroit Revitalization Fellows
- Chante Mayers-Barbot – MPP student at GWU | Fulbright ETA in South Africa
- Chibundu Nnake – Manager of Advocacy and Policy, FOCUS | Education Pioneers Fellow
- Cordell Carter – Executive Director, Socrates Program, Aspen Institute | Eisenhower Fellow,
- Dominique Carter – AAAS Science and Technology Fellow
- Doug Mitchell – Director, Next Generation Radio, NPR | Fulbright Specialist to Chile
- Eric Wheeler – Associate Director, The Risk Advisory Group | Fulbright Scholar to Spain
- Janet Jaccinor – MPH student at West Chester University
- Kasandra Noel – MPH student at West Chester University
- Myrna Handem – PhD graduate, African Studies, Howard University
- Susan Patterson – Kiva Fellow
- Symeon Braxton – Director of Fellowship Solutions, Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation
- Tyler Bartlam – Senior Production Assistant at C-SPAN
- Vicki Johnson – Founder and Director, ProFellow | German Chancellor Fellow
© Victoria Johnson 2019, all rights reserved.