Sponsored by the Institute for Humane Studies
One thing is for sure about graduate school; you never have enough money. The Institute for Humane Studies is committed to lightening the financial burden of getting a PhD for students like you through our Humane Studies Fellowship. Students interested in developing, teaching, and applying classical liberal ideas and the principles of a free society are encouraged to apply.
The Humane Studies Fellowship provides up to $15,000 in direct financial aid to get you through your PhD program without going into massive amounts of debt. Past recipients are eligible to apply. HSF funding is available for the 2021-2022 academic year and summer 2021. Applicants can request funding for the academic year and/or summer within the application.
Just remember, you only have until December 1 to apply for funding, so don’t delay.
- Renewable Funding: The Humane Studies Fellowship is a renewable, non-residency award of up to $15,000 per year to support current or future students enrolled in full-time PhD programs.
- Flexibility: Fellows are free to use the funds to further their research as they see fit, including summer course buyouts, purchasing data sets, funding research travel, and more.
- Career Development Opportunities: Fellows gain access to individual academic advising, networking events, invitations to academic seminars, research workshops, discussion colloquia, and other career-advancing opportunities.
- Professional Connections: Humane Studies Fellows are connected to a diverse community of scholars across the world who are researching and teaching ideas in the classical liberal tradition.
A completed application will include:
- Three 500 word essay questions.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- An updated CV.
- A recent writing sample of 3,000 words or fewer. Partial samples of longer works are acceptable.
- An official or unofficial electronic transcript from your current or most recent institution.
- If applicable, your dissertation proposal.
Application Deadline: December 1, 2020
For more information, contact Thomas Creegan at HSF@TheIHS.org
Not ready to apply right now? Bookmark the Humane Studies Fellowship to your ProFellow account.