Sponsored by FCNL
Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) Young Fellows spend 11 months working with key staff members to build expertise in advocacy from a public interest perspective. The program is full-time and paid a salary at the DC living wage standard with benefits.
Fellows work under the title “program assistant” and work directly with FCNL lobbyists and other senior staff, gaining first-hand knowledge of the legislative process and the organizing and communications work that is necessary for policy change.
Young fellows work full-time from late August through the end of July.
- Advocacy: Lobby Congress and build grassroots campaigns to encourage constituents and members of Congress to take action by providing them with information on critical issues.
- Communications: Draft action alerts, letters, and background reports to keep constituents informed and to express FCNL’s position to Congress and the administration.
- Outreach: Help build democracy by organizing campaigns and workshops that empower people around the country to engage with elected officials in Washington.
- Research: Attend congressional committee hearings and coalition meetings and analyze documents and reports.
Salary and Benefits
Salary covers basic living expenses for the Washington, DC area. Benefits include fully paid health coverage, paid vacation and sick leave, and a public transportation or biking stipend. Program assistants are responsible for making their own housing arrangements.
A completed application will include:
- An application form.
- A cover letter telling us about yourself, why you want to work at FCNL and what experiences would you bring to advance the work of the organization.
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution from which you hold a degree. (Transcripts may be unofficial. FCNL may ask for an official transcript at a later date.)
- Resume (including education, work, extracurricular, and volunteer experience).
- Two letters of recommendation from your references. Letters are due on the day that applications are due, February 18, 2019. No exceptions will be made for late letters. Have your recommenders send letters to Anna McCormally at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Recommendation: [applicant last name]” .
The deadline to apply is February 18, 2019.
For more information, contact Katie Breslin at email@example.com.
Not ready to apply right now? Bookmark the FCNL Young Fellows Program to your ProFellow account.