Sponsored by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
An International Fellowship for Prospective Leaders
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is seeking the leaders of tomorrow for the 2024-25 cohort of German Chancellor Fellows. Emerging leaders from the US, India, Brazil, the People’s Republic of China, and South Africa are invited to apply to this unique opportunity to implement a self-designed project that supports your career development, is societally relevant, and has a lasting public impact. Fellows become part of an active international network of dedicated leaders.
The German Chancellor Fellowship is a one year fellowship in Germany to implement a project of your own design.
- a monthly fellowship grant of 2,000 euros, 2,300 euros or 2,600 euros – depending on your training and career level
- an intensive language course before you begin your fellowship and funding for German courses during your fellowship
- individual support during your stay in Germany
- additional financial support, e.g. for mobility, for accompanying family members, for travel expenses, for full private health insurance or for additional German language courses
- joint events where you experience professional and personal intercultural exchange with other fellows from your year group and gain insights into German culture and society
- networking activities that enable you to collaborate in peer groups and independently organize smaller network formats with other fellows
- a two-week study tour through Germany as well as a number of events where you can connect with other fellows and meet representatives of German businesses and institutions
- extensive alumni sponsorship, in particular to support long-term connections with your cooperation partners in Germany over the duration of your entire professional career
Your host institution in Germany will also receive a monthly subsidy of €500 at their disposal for any costs arising while conducting the project.
The German Chancellor Fellowship sponsors future decision-makers, multipliers and thought leaders – regardless of industry. We invite you to apply if you:
- hold Brazilian, Chinese, Indian, South African or American citizenship
- work in a field such as politics, business, media, administration, society or culture and have demonstrable initial leadership experience
- will have completed your first academic degree (Bachelor or comparable degree) no more than twelve years ago; the key date for calculating this twelve-year period is 1 October 2024
- want to conduct an independently developed project with a host of your choice in Germany
- have good knowledge of English and/or German (German language fluency is not required to participate)
How to Apply:
Applicants must identify a host institution in Germany before applying to design and submit a project that can be supported by their host.
The application must include a:
- Letter of motivation: Tell us what drives you, what leadership experience you already have and what your career goals are
- Project plan: Outline the project you have developed yourself and agreed with your intended host prior to applying. Why is your project of societal significance, and how will you be able to build bridges between Germany and your home country in the future?
- Extensive statement including mentoring agreement from your host in Germany
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (not more than 12 months old) from individuals who can provide information on your professional, personal and/or academic background
Please submit the necessary application documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only.
The online application form contains links where the letters of recommendation and statements can be uploaded. Please forward these links to the relevant individuals as soon as possible. The AvH Foundation will send you a confirmation e-mail as soon as we have received all the required documents.
If you have any questions, please contact us ([email protected]) before submitting your application. We are happy to help!
Apply by: October 15, 2023
We accept applications from the start date in March to October 15 of each year. Outside this period you may register for the next round of applications; you will then be automatically notified by e-mail when the next round of applications begins.
The most promising candidates among all formally eligible applicants will be selected and invited to a selection meeting in their respective country of origin, where they will have the opportunity to present themselves and their project.
In recent years, 25 to 30 percent of applicants have received a fellowship on average.
For more info
Learn more about the program here.
Not ready to apply this year? Bookmark the German Chancellor Fellowship to your ProFellow account.
© ProFellow, LLC 2023, all rights reserved